Keeping a team organized sometimes might be challenging. Below 16 advices to improve your team organization.
- Ensure that your team is able to perform any task also if you are on vacation.
- Require the team submit regular progress reports.
- Delegate as many as possible activities that do not fit into your schedule.
- Do not organize too long or too short meetings. During the meetings avoid long digressions of the arguments and ensure only the relevant persons are invited.
- Develop project management skills and study PM techniques like resource planning, calendar scheduling and progress tracking.
- Make sure everyone in the team knows clearly what their responsibilities are and what are the goals and expectations.
- Give the team members enough authority to execute their work. It gets extremely difficult to get things done when it’s required to have approvals from many other parties.
- Develop competence to be a subject matter expert for the team.
- Periodically review the performances of the team.
- Do not override your subordinates. There is nothing more demotivating than a team leader exercising his authority without regards of the team member responsible for the job.
- Do not criticize a subordinate in front of others. This will affect prestige and morale.
- Show interest in what your team is doing. If the team leader is not interested, why should the staff be?
- Reward subordinates for a good work. Help them, advise them and stimulate them to do a good job.
- Be responsible for the success and failures of your team. The team members should not be the ones to blame.
- Make sure your subordinates are fairly compensated. At the end, people mostly work because we are paid for it.
- Protect the interested of your staff. Treat your people as human beings rather than machines.
More advices to suggest? Comments are welcome!