Today I wrote this script that can be used to install and configure SqlPlus on a Mac OS X. It was tested on a Leopard 10.5.4 machine.

1. Download from the Oracle website the Oracle Client for Mac OS X (Intel x86) Version and the SqlPlus:
- the Oracle Client ‘Instant Package – Basic’ []
- the Oracle Client ‘Instant Package – SqlPlus‘ []
2. Download the bash scripts and Last version can be found in the script page.

1. Set a root password and log in as root
# sudo passwd
# su -
2. Copy the files,, and into the directory /var/root.
3. Enter the home directory of the user root, change the permissions of the scripts and execute the installation script.
# cd
# chmod 755
# ./

Post-Installation: [Steps Required]
1. Make sure you know SID, SERVER and PORT of the server you want to connect.
2. Execute the script
# cd
# ./
3. Type: Oracle SID, Oracle Server, Oracle Server Port, Oracle Database Username, Oracle Database Password.

Installation Check:
1. To connect the Oracle DB via SqlPlus you can run the following command:

Your comment, error reports and improvement requests are always welcome ;D

Other Posts

This entry was posted on Friday, July 25th, 2008 at 10:19 pm and is filed under Oracle on Unix Server. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.
26 Comments so far

1. Vish on August 3, 2008 5:40 am

Thanks for the detailed steps. After doing this I was unable to connect and was getting below error
    dyld: Library not loaded: /scratch/plebld/208/sqlplus/lib/libsqlplus.dylib
    Referenced from: /usr/bin/sqlplus
    Reason: image not found
    Then I have exported DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH variable
    bash-3.2# export DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/oracle/instantclient_10_2
    bash-3.2# echo $PATH $DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH
    /bin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11/bin /opt/oracle/instantclient_10_2
    Later I tried connecting but still have some issue
    bash-3.2# sqlplus hr/hr@//

SQL*Plus: Release – Production on Sun Aug 3 11:25:38 2008

Copyright (c) 1982, 2007, Oracle. All Rights Reserved.

ORA-12170: TNS:Connect timeout occurred

I am able to ping the Oracle host machine.
    bash-3.2# ping
    PING ( 56 data bytes
    64 bytes from icmp_seq=0 ttl=128 time=0.669 ms
    64 bytes from icmp_seq=1 ttl=128 time=0.971 ms
    64 bytes from icmp_seq=2 ttl=128 time=0.610 ms

I tried increasing SQLNET.INBOUND_CONNECT_TIMEOUT = 360 in sqlnet.ora but nothing worked.
    Pls help

2. Danilo Vizzarro on August 3, 2008 11:36 am

Can you try to execute SqlPlus as root? Do you have the same error?

3. Vish on August 3, 2008 5:13 pm

Thanks for the prompt response. yes I tried as root. I uninstalled everything tried from scratch. Now i am getting below error.
    root# echo $PATH $DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH
    root# sqlplus hr/hr@//
    dyld: Library not loaded: /scratch/plebld/208/rdbms/lib/libclntsh.dylib.10.1
    Referenced from: /usr/bin/sqlplus
    Reason: image not found
    Trace/BPT trap

4. Danilo Vizzarro on August 5, 2008 5:24 pm

Hi Vish,
    are you using Leopard 10.5.4?

Try to run this

# cd
    # chmod 755 .profile
    # nano .profile

and add at the end of the file .profile the following strings:

export TNS_ADMIN
    export ORACLE_HOME

Then restart close the terminal and open it again.

5. Kerby on August 14, 2008 5:44 pm

This did not work for me. I am trying to connect to
    Oracle 7.3.4 and that maybe the problem.
    I know I can download ‘classes12′ and that is supposed to be the driver for this version of Oracle’s DB… but where do I put that
    Or, am I missing something…
    The error is:

SQL*Plus: Release – Production on Thu Aug 14 10:43:30 2008

Copyright (c) 1982, 2007, Oracle. All Rights Reserved.

Enter user-name: my_user_name
    Enter password: my_password
    ORA-12162: TNS:net service name is incorrectly specified

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

6. Danilo Vizzarro on August 15, 2008 8:05 am

Hi Kerby,
    make sure that you specified correctly the SID.
    # cat /opt/oracle/tns/tnsnames.ora
    You can edit this file manually.
    # vi /opt/oracle/tns/tnsnames.ora

7. artulo on August 15, 2008 8:03 pm

I’m getting a similar error, but it’s with the webserver starting.

dyld: NSLinkModule() error
    dyld: Library not loaded: /scratch/plebld/208/rdbms/lib/libclntsh.dylib.10.1
    Referenced from: /usr/lib/php/extensions/no-debug-non-zts-20060613/
    Reason: image not found

output from your instructions above:

BASIC_README libclntsh.dylib.10.1 libocijdbc10.jnilib
    SQLPLUS_README libnnz10.dylib libsqlplus.dylib
    classes12.jar libocci.dylib libsqlplusic.dylib
    genezi libocci.dylib.10.1 ojdbc14.jar
    glogin.sql libociei.dylib sdk
    libclntsh.dylib libocijdbc10.dylib sqlplus

also, I don’t have a .profile file

8. Danilo Vizzarro on August 18, 2008 9:14 pm

Hi artulo,
    try to create manually the .profile file in the home directory as I described to Vish ;P

9. pritesh on September 10, 2008 10:46 am

i want to install oracle 10g client(32-bit) on Windows 64-bit OS. i am also able to install it..but the problem is that there is no ora driver in driver list. so i am unable to make DSN.
    can anybody help me?

10. kerby on September 16, 2008 5:29 pm

Yes, I am revisiting this. It still does not connect. I have the correct info and sid set properly. The error is: TNS could not resolve the connect identifier

11. artulo on October 14, 2008 10:57 pm

THANK YOU!!! It works!!

I also ended up having to put the instantclient libraries into /usr/lib and /scratch/plebld/208/rdbms/lib, then creating symbolic links to libclntsh.dylib.10.1.

12. Danilo Vizzarro on October 16, 2008 5:27 pm

Hi Kerby,

# cd
    # ./

then make sure that the information you are typing are right :P

13. Danilo Vizzarro on October 16, 2008 5:28 pm

Hi pritesh,
    sorry but we cannot help you with windows… you should start to use Linux :P

14. Robert on October 16, 2008 10:50 pm

I got almost the same error over and over again.

localhost:~ root# sqlplus
    dyld: Library not loaded: /scratch/plebld/208/rdbms/lib/libclntsh.dylib.10.1
    Referenced from: /usr/bin/sqlplus
    Reason: no suitable image found. Did find:
    /scratch/plebld/208/rdbms/lib/libclntsh.dylib.10.1: unknown file type, first eight bytes: 0×00 0×00 0×00 0×00 0×00 0×00 0×00 0×00
    /usr/lib/libclntsh.dylib.10.1: unknown file type, first eight bytes: 0x0B 0×00 0×00 0×00 0×14 0×05 0×00 0×00
    Trace/BPT trap

I did set the Library Path and copied the libraries both to usr/lib and scratch/…. but nothing changes.

Could you plz help me

15. Michael Caraballo on October 27, 2008 11:19 pm

I got the instant client working just fine with this script but it only works insofar as I am logged in as user “admin” on my system. When I log in as user “root”, sqlplus fails with message:

“PHP Warning: PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic library ‘/usr/lib/php/extensions/no-debug-non-zts-20060613/’ – (null) in Unknown on line 0″.

When I echo $DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH as user root it displays no set value. It works just fine when I change to user “admin” at the bash command shell.

If I run a script with a line that reads “phpinfo()” and execute it via the command line as root, the OCI extension is listed as loaded. Furthermore I can execute Oracle function calls from php scripts so long as the scripts are called from the command line.

When I instead call a webpage with phpinfo() the OCI8 extension is not listed as loaded.

Lastly when apache2 starts, php throws an error message to its log file which says “PHP Warning: PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic library ‘/usr/lib/php/extensions/no-debug-non-zts-20060613/’ – (null) in Unknown on line 0″

Do I have a problem with variables not being persistent after reboot or being set across multiple users accounts? Perhaps when Apache is running it can’t talk to the instant client.

Any ideas?

–Mike C

16. Michael on November 12, 2008 11:41 pm

Attempting to install Oracle Administrator Client on MAC OS X 10.5.4. I log in as root, I set ORACLE_HOME and DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH then unzip the downloaded client software. No errors and for some reason no install logs. Anyway, when logged in as root or as myself when I try to launch sqlplus I receive the error:
    dylb: Library not loaded: /scratch/plebld/208/sqlplus/lib/libsqlplus.dylib
    Referenced from /Users/user1/Oracle/ohome/bin/./sqlplus
    Reason: image not found
    Trace/BPT trap

Please help if you can.

17. Pete Ludwig on November 16, 2008 5:42 am

I went as root to /etc/profile and added the following:

# Oracle Client changes
    export TNS_ADMIN
    export ORACLE_HOME

- please note two things:

1. OSX is whiny about changing big boy files, so you’ll have to save with :w! in vi before you can :q out of there. I like putting stuff here I want across users, although the other good (better, safer) way to do it is to pick who accesses the file and just change their ~/.profile files by adding the above. Forcing yourself to login as root to do some web or dev DB stuff ain’t a good plan.

2. bash (at least my current OSX version) doesn’t like the double quotes around the roughly exact same thing Danilo had written earlier, I just took them out. I was getting that crappy “dylb: Library not loaded: /scratch..” error until I changed that.

Thanks for the scripts, Danilo. Saved me some time and headache getting this tweaky Mac version hooked up.

18. Beiowolf on April 23, 2009 6:45 am

How to uninstall this on Mac OSX ?

19. pklammer on July 25, 2011 7:00 pm

i get the following error, can someone help me?

dyld: Library not loaded: /b/227/rdbms/lib/libclntsh.dylib.10.1
    Referenced from: /usr/bin/sqlplus
    Reason: image not found
    Trace/BPT trap: 5

20. Amey on January 9, 2012 12:35 am

I have Lion OS, i need to install SQL plus should i go about it

21. Luthien on January 30, 2012 2:13 pm

Thank you! This finally led me to getting SQLPlus to work on Lion, which saves me a lot of hassle working via terminal server.

22. Luthien on January 30, 2012 2:15 pm

oh, btw – @pklammer: I had this error as well. You need to add some lines to your ~.bash_profile:

export TNS_ADMIN
    export PATH

and source it (or open another Terminal tab).

23. deepak on May 22, 2012 9:18 am

i got this error

when i run sqlplus

dyld: Library not loaded: /b/227/sqlplus/lib/libsqlplus.dylib
    Referenced from: /usr/bin/sqlplus
    Reason: image not found
    Trace/BPT trap: 5

24. manichandra on June 22, 2012 10:41 am

i am getting this error. I tried twice from the scratch. I am using lion
    I changed .profile also.
    and i directly copied tnsnames.ora which my professor asked me to use.

[MANICHANDRABHOOSHANs-MacBook-Pro:/] root# sqlplus cs457_9884/changeme@//
    dyld: Library not loaded: /b/227/rdbms/lib/libclntsh.dylib.10.1
    Referenced from: /usr/bin/sqlplus
    Reason: image not found
    Trace/BPT trap
    [MANICHANDRABHOOSHANs-MacBook-Pro:/] root#

25. manichandra on June 22, 2012 10:49 am

and when i run ./
    I got this No file or directory message in the end. I don’t know its an error or no.

inflating: __MACOSX/
    inflating: __MACOSX/

3 archives were successfully processed.
    1 “zipfile” was a directory.
    ./ line 34: cd: /opt/oracle/instantclient_10_2: No such file or directory

You can now execute the script to set up the tnsnames.ora
    After that you can connect your Oracle DB via Sqlplus using this command:

26. matt snider on March 23, 2013 1:56 am

Just wanted to share some pointers from my experience:

* Instead of logging in as root, I was just able to everything using SUDO.
    * The latest version was 11.2, but 10_2 is hardcoded in the scripts. You will have to manually changed the filenames in the script, if you use a never version.
    * I got it working on OSX Mountain Lion
    * You will have issues with DYLD, I created an alias that sets up the right DYLD location: alias run_sqlplus=”DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/oracle/instantclient_11_2/ sqlplus”
    * I had to set the TNS_ADMIN variable for it tnsnames.ora to work correction: export TNS_ADMIN=/opt/oracle/tns/tnsnames.ora

That’s it,